Sunday 20 December 2015

Start of Winter 2015

My next work stretch in the UK was undecided as of course my regular lady had passed away, and it felt quite unsettling for me. I was given two new clients to settle in with, but it felt very strange, and I kept comparing my new routines with my old. Those of you that know me, will know that I like things to be ordered and regular, and am not a great one for changes. However, it is necessary, and I had to get used to it. It did mean that in between bookings, I got to stay with the family again, so there is always a bright side. I even managed to get the Christmas shopping sorted, and all cards written and posted - a little early mind you, but all done and dusted.

We try to take time out of our busy schedules, by going to the beach, or discovering new places. Arthur enjoys this too of course....and while it is so mild, we must take advantage.





Other times, as I have said before, we need to get things done as a team - those jobs that Craig can't get done on his own. One example, is the back kitchen wall - we had always planned on putting a window in this wall, so that you could see outside when washing up, and of course to give more light into the room, BUT now, as we are not going to be here much longer, it is a job that has been cancelled. It would take Craig about 10 days to do this job on his own, for little or no profit. Now however, we can plaster board the wall, and finish it off, paneling the bottom half, paint it etc. After several years of having a window template drawn on the wall, we now have the finished product - although slightly amended. Craig needed me to help with the sheets of plaster board - they are big and cumbersome, awkward and clumsy. That probably describes me as well !!! Anyway, we got the plaster boarding done, which left Craig able to move on to another job.



Anyway, on my return this time, I was again able to see great changes - not only was the kitchen wall finished, but we now had a staircase from the middle to the top floor. Up until this point, we had a ladder !!! Now, however, Craig has built a staircase !!! He is unable to finish it with a handrail at this point, as we need to get plasterboard to the top floor, and a hand rail and banisters will be in the way.
I am very pleased with it. It looks great.





We made the sad decision to part company with the rabbits - we gave them away in fact, to a man who breeds them, and who has many other animals which he allows to free range over his land. We both feel that this is the kindest option for them. We didn't have time to breed them, and it means that Craig has one less job to do, when he is on his own - no feeding, watering and cleaning etc. Now we only have the chickens, which give us eggs (too many mind you, when Craig is on his own !), and of course Arthur.


Arthur was ill while I was away, which was worrying, but we think that it had to do with the fact that we changed his food. Once his tummy had adapted to the new sort, he appeared to recover, and is now his normal self. What made it worse, was that Craig too wasn't too good. He had an accident, and fell, injuring his chest. It makes us realise how vulnerable we are here in France.

I brought back many supplies from the UK with me - Craig always enjoys unloading the car from my trips, as there are numerous surprises for him - many are food related, but often there are other bits and pieces too. He had paint this time too - the paint here is very expensive, and very poor quality. If you asked any English person here about French paint, you would get the same answer. The paint I brought back with me this time, has already been used to paint the wall behind our bed, which means that our bedroom, is now completely finished.

We can start ticking off rooms that are completely finished now which is great - the bathroom and bedroom are sorted, and the study, kitchen, utility room and snug just have small finishing jobs to be done. In fact the two main jobs left - are the top floor, and the sitting room - both of which are manageable.

Let's keep positive - 2016 is going to be a good year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment