Saturday 9 May 2015

Home Again Soon.

My next trip was slightly more exciting as I managed to buy a car ! This meant that I flew to UK via Brest, with a welcome lift there from friends, and drove back from Plymouth, so as well as the excitement of a new car, I was able to load up with the groceries and those goodies we miss - we miss them more now, as we get them more often !

We bought a Toyota Rav 4, which is a bigger car than we had before, but one that we felt was more suitable to our lifestyle here now - more robust, more stable, and with more room in the boot - which was always an issue with the Volvo.

While I was away this time, Craig had the misfortune to lose his wedding ring in the field. He had an idea where it was, but despite extensive searches on his hands and knees, he was unable to find it. Luckily, he tracked down a metal detector, and found it within minutes ! So, we were able to thank our friends for the loan of it with some Duty Free goodies on my return. We were very grateful, as of course a ring has such sentimental value.

We have often visited the Emmaus warehouse near to Morlaix, and discovered various treasures there. It is a charity, run worldwide, that accepts donations of household items and clothes, for resale. There are sometimes, but not always some great bargains to be had, so we decided to visit another branch near to Quimper, as a change. Quimper is a lovely city, about 40 minutes drive from here, and we like to walk along the river, visit the shops, and sit outside with a coffee watching the world go by. It's a completely different environment to our more local town of Carhaix - it seems almost cosmopolitan !

We also visited, as we try to do every year, the Roscoff Onion Fair. This celebrates the red Roscoff onions, and the Roscoff Johnnies that used to pedal (literally) their wares across the Channel in the UK.


We were relatively lucky with the weather, and managed to buy a few strings of onions, and garlics too. Previously, we have bought a sack of onions, and I have strung them myself, but time precludes on our schedule this year. Craig built a new hanging rack in the Utility room to hang them on.....




A visit to the beach is one of the nice trips that we choose to do as regularly as we can (not as often as we would like to though!), but this month, August, is not ideal to take Arthur the dog. There are a number of beaches that do not allow dogs, and some of those that do, exclude dogs during the holiday season, which is a shame as he loves the beach, as I'm sure I have mentioned before.

My French lessons are suffering due to the new work schedule. Obviously, when I am here, I can continue, but I notice that I am not as fluent, or capable now that I have more time in the UK, and am not immersed in the language as before. My teacher has been very patient, and tries to accommodate me as much as she is able to, between her other commitments, by giving me extra lessons too.

My home visit is coming to an end again, so we have the seemingly endless round of shopping, washing, visits to the tip, the DIY shops, and stocking up the cupboards to keep Craig fed, and busy !

Au Revoir France and particularly Craig and Arthur, I'll be back in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment