Sunday 4 August 2013

New Beginnings (Part Two)

The first house that we arrived at, was everything we didn't want ! It was the middle one of a block of three, with access to it over the neighbours land, and its own land a few miles away (or so it seemed !). I didn't even bother to go inside it - it was just not right.

The Agent rang his office for directions to the second, and at the same time as he got them, Craig spotted the house about 500 metres further along the road. What a coincidence. Both houses so close together.

We pulled up outside, and went inside the house - that was it - Craig had gone, exploring !

I think he knew straight away that this was to be the one. I looked at the Agent, and he looked at me, and we nodded.

It was a beautiful day, which of course made a world of difference too, but the house looked a bit sorry for itself, and unloved - how sentimental am I ? And we wanted to help it !

We went back to the B and B, and decided to drive back out to the house by ourselves. Obviously we couldn't go back inside, but plans were taking shape in Craig's head.

By the next morning, Craig had redesigned inside and out, on the back of a cigarette packet. He was brimming with ideas, which he bombarded me with, as I opened my eyes. I'm not at my best first thing in the morning - well, who is ? Anyway, we took another drive out, with Craig pacing out measurements, and pointing out where improvements could be made. I find imagining these sort of things quite difficult, so I'm not sure I took it in..........

Next thing to do - well, put in an offer of course !

We were told that this wasn't usual practice at the time, but never mind. We did it anyway, and then had to wait.

I can't remember how long it took to get a response, but we were back at home in the UK. The first reply was negative, but the Agent suggested a small increase. He said that as the buyers had taken a long time to deliberate over the offer, it suggested that they were close to agreeing, so we took his advice, upped the offer slightly, and - Hey Presto - the sale was going through !

No comments:

Post a Comment